At HostRooster, we are committed to providing unique and memorable experiences while prioritizing the welfare and well-being of animals. To ensure responsible and ethical practices, we have established the following guidelines for hosts offering experiences that involve animals. These guidelines align with the principles of animal welfare, aiming to protect animals from harm and exploitation.
Animal Welfare Principles
Hosts on HostRooster must adhere to the Five Freedoms, guiding principles that ensure good animal welfare:
- Freedom from hunger or thirst: Animals must have access to fresh water and an appropriate diet to maintain full health.
- Freedom from discomfort: Animals should be provided with an appropriate environment, including shelter and a comfortable resting area.
- Freedom from pain, injury, or disease: Animals must be treated respectfully, and prompt access to veterinary care should be provided.
- Freedom to express normal behavior: Animals should be given sufficient space, proper facilities, and the opportunity to interact with their own kind.
- Freedom from fear and distress: Conditions and treatment should avoid causing mental suffering to animals.
Wild Animals in the Wild
HostRooster does not allow experiences involving intentional direct contact with wild animals in the wild. This includes activities such as petting, feeding, or riding animals, except for validated Social Impact Experiences conducted by non-profits involved in conservation research.
Animals in Captivity
Rescues and Sanctuaries
- Hosts operating rescues and sanctuaries must prioritize the best interest of animals.
- Sanctuaries are not allowed to host experiences involving direct interactions with travelers or in performances with wild animals.
- Buying, selling, or breeding wild or wild-hybrid animals is strictly prohibited unless part of a recognized breeding program for responsible release into the wild.
Domesticated and Farmed Animals
- Proper shelter, care, food, and water must be provided for domesticated animals.
- Working animals, such as horses, mules, yaks, camels, and donkeys, should not be overloaded, overworked, and must be treated humanely.
- Interaction with domesticated animals should allow them the freedom to disengage from direct contact when desired.
Zoološki vrtovi i akvarijumi
- Only zoos and aquariums accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA) and the World Association of Zoos and Aquariums (WAZA) are permitted to host experiences.
- Direct contact or performances with wild animals, even in accredited zoos and aquariums, are not allowed.
Sanjkanje za pse
- Animal welfare, including humane handling, physical fitness, and adequate living conditions, must not be compromised in dog sledding experiences.
- Proper socialization of sled dogs is essential for appropriate behavior towards humans and other animals.
HostRooster strictly prohibits activities that cause harm to animals, including but not limited to:
- Elephant interactions, such as riding, bathing, or feeding elephants.
- Direct interactions with big cats, including walking, cub petting, and selfies.
- Use of wild animals in restaurants, cafes, and entertainment venues.
- Experiences involving marine mammals in captivity, except for validated Social Impact Experiences related to rescue or rehabilitation.
- Experiences involving the purchase or consumption of wild animal products.
- Sports events that may harm or overexert animals.
In addition to the guidelines above, hosts and guests are encouraged to consider their role in ensuring animal welfare during their travels. This includes avoiding activities that compromise animal well-being, such as taking selfies with restrained wild animals.
If you come across an experience that violates our Animal Welfare Policy or poses a risk to hosts, guests, or animals, please contact us at email@example.com. Provide details such as the date, time, location, and the type of animals involved.
These guidelines are subject to updates, and hosts are encouraged to stay informed of any changes. At HostRooster, we are dedicated to creating experiences that respect and protect the welfare of all animals.